Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Living in the Land of the Unfinished

So...I'm just going to re-enter the blog world and pretend that it hasn't been 8 months since I last posted.  I've been putting it off, feeling as though I "can't" post and not do an entire catch-up post.  But, since that may (ahem - will) likely never happen, and because I don't want to be done blogging entirely, I've decided to just write a new post. 

More and more these days (months and years even) I feel like I just live in a land of unfinished.  Unfinished conversations, unfinished laundry, unfinished meals (my own AND my children's!), unfinished sleep, unfinished decorations, unfinished goals, dates, letters, blog posts (cough cough - Taylor's birth story?  What was that?  Oops!), and the list goes on and on. 

Some days I find myself so easily discouraged about these unfinished items.  Scratch that, most days.  In that discouragement, I find myself easily frustrated at the two little bodies who are a prime reason that these items are all incomplete.  Then I fall into a pit of self-condemnation over the moments with my babies that I likely missed throughout my day under the intention of completing these oh-so unimportant tasks!  It's a vicious cycle, because I also struggle with feeling condemned over my unorganized home, my ever-growing pile of laundry, the lack of organization in my basement, and my seeming inability to ever have a clean bedroom! 

And then, one day several months ago, my sweet Jesus brought something to my mind as I struggled.  This verse, the verse that was my first to ever memorize "And I am sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion in the day of Jesus Christ".  (Phil. 1:6)  How incredibly encouraging!  What relief I have felt!  Because you know what?  I AM unfinished.  He is doing work in me, and it's not finished yet!!  Then, the other day, just as I was pondering writing this post, I realized something else.  There is only ONE things that matters, and that thing?  "It IS finished!!" (John 19:30)  The thing that matters the most is already complete, and by His grace and incredible love, I get to be in on the greatest gift ever given. 

So as I walk through my days, I'm trying harder to do what I can in the time I have, to love my children more in the many sweet moments I have with them (and to see these sweet moments!), and to soak in the fact that He is working on me, and one day I will be finished. 

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I LOVE that! (And I'm sorry for busting you about your birth story... I'm clearly part of your problem!)

Sylvia said...

I love this, Kjirsten! So glad you found a place of comfort and peace in the land of Unfinished.

Sylvia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan and Marcy Salvatore said...

Thanks Kjirstin for the tremendous reminder!